Data Science Certificate
The Data Science Certificate is an opportunity for students wanting to increase their data literacy and/or prepare for a career in data science. It is also an opportunity for professionals to advance their careers by building upon existing work experience or to supplement their existing academic credentials with data science coursework.
- Perform problem solving and computational tasks in the discipline of data science.
- Create computer code and scripts to collect, prepare, and organize data.
- Apply and critically evaluate data analysis techniques.
- Interpret and communicate findings in multiple forms.
- Assess the ethical implications to societies of data-based research and analysis.
Data Science is a rapidly increasing field in the areas of business, industry, government, and marketing. As of June 2020, Glassdoor.com named Data Science one of the most promising jobs of our time, with an approximate 28% rise in the employment field through the year 2026.
Students earning a certificate from HCC must complete or demonstrate exemption from the following courses: ENG 003 Reading and Understanding College Textbooks and ENG 012 Basic Writing, or ENG 018 Integrated Reading and Writing, and MATH 020 Pre-Algebra I. See graduation requirement details in this catalog for further information.
|DSCI 101||Introduction to Data Science||3|
|CIS 229||Python Programming Language||4|
|PHIL 205||Ethics (GH)||3|
|or PHIL 222||Environmental Ethics|
|DSCI 102||Introductory Statistics with Programming Applications (GM)||4|
|DSCI 103||Database Management and Database Systems||3|
|DSCI 201||Data Visualization||3|