Exercise Science Certificate
No. of credits required: 19
For more information: Contact Associate Professor Cindy Kelley at 443-412-2225 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Admissions at 443-412-2109.
The Exercise Science Certificate curriculum provides foundational knowledge that will prepare a student for a career as either a personal trainer or a fitness specialist. The courses use a hands on approach, combined with multiple learning methods, to ensure a student is ready for these career paths.
- Explain the fundamental concepts of exercise science.
- Demonstrate entry-level knowledge and skills necessary for safe and appropriate health screenings and assessment.
- Design and implement effective exercise prescriptions for various populations.
- Demonstrate standards of professional practices.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills needed to take a National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) accredited certification exam.
Students earning a certificate from HCC must complete or demonstrate exemption from the following courses: ENG 003 Reading and Understanding College Textbooks and ENG 012 Basic Writing, or ENG 018 Integrated Reading and Writing, and MATH 020 Pre-Algebra I. See graduation requirement details in this catalog for further information.
|EXSC 101||Introduction to Exercise Science||3|
|EXSC 202||Fitness Instruction||3|
|HLTH 106||Nutrition for Personal Wellness (GI)||3|
|PE 229||Advanced Weight Training||1|
|EXSC 201||Fitness Assessment & Program Design||3|
|HLTH 102||EMC, First Aid, and Safety||3|
|EXSC 283||Exercise Science Internship||3|
General Education Degree Requirements
Note: The following codes identify courses which satisfy the General Education Degree Requirements:
Behavioral/Social Science (GB)
English Composition (GE)
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Issues (GI)
Biological/Physical Laboratory Science (GL)
Biological/Physical Science (GS)